I love the simplicity of dishes like this one, its fresh, seasonal, and super healthy! I have probably made this dish a hundred times. We all love it, for the exception of Roman that eats around the tomatoes, oh, and Aubrey who picks out the onions, but other than that its one of our favorites. After we eat if theres any left Avah usually volunteers to finish it off, and lets Roman drink the dressing from the bowl.
I have to admit it gives me a sense of joy to watch them eat it. Not the same feeling it gives when they love the cookies or the muffins I bake. Its not the same feeling I get when they jump up and down when I tell them I’m making pizza for dinner.
Its a proud feeling that I know they are putting good things in their bodies, that boost their immune systems, make them feel good, and will start building a foundation for healthy eating patters. My thoughts usually get interrupted with the sound of my husbands voice…”lets get the kitchen cleaned up, then who wants ice cream?” yep, he’s the fun one…..couldn’t we end the evening with cucumber salad?
You may wonder, can a cucumber really be that healthy? Isn’t it mostly water? Every ingredient in this dish is SUPER healthy, including the cucumber! Lets take a look.
- Cucumber- Helps fight constipation, helps with digestion, rejuvenates skin, reduces dark circles and puffy eyes, and flushes waste from the body.
- Tomatoes- helps lower cholesterol, blood sugar regulator, and helps fight against cancer.
- Onion- relieves sore throat and coughing, boost immune system, and helps prevent tooth decay.
- Garlic- Helps prevent cancer, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-inflammatory.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- regulates PH, promotes good gut bacteria, and fights acid reflux.
I think Hippocrates was right when he said, “let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”
- 2 cucumbers
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped onion ( red or yellow)
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp pink or sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Slice cucumber and chop tomatoes and place in a bowl.
- Chop a 1/4 cup of onion and stir in.
- For the dressing ,in a separate bowl, mix all ingredients and grate 2 cloves of garlic in.
- Stir well, and pour over cucumber mix.
- Best when it can set for about 15 minutes before serving. If you have time to do this, stir every few minutes.
Elke is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Clicking on an Amazon link from http://www.quadcoptercloud.com/ does not increase the cost of any item you purchase.
We will only ever link to Amazon products that we think our visitors may be interested in and appreciate learning more abou