If you’re trying to get more vegetables into your diet this Vegetable Frittata is for you! This recipe is great for cleaning out the fridge and using up those veggies that have been sitting in there for a while. So, if you have some veggies to use up, get out your eggs and veggies and get ready to make this simple weeknight dinner!
I don’t know about you but I’m a veggie-lover, so I’m always buying lots of vegetables and then wondering which way to use them. You may be more of a strategic shopper, but if you’re not, you probably have some veggies to use up at the end of the week.
Frittatas are easy to make!
I like easy, and with four kids I don’t always have a lot of time. Recipes like this make dinner simple. Some nights I spend a long time in the kitchen and other nights I want to get in and out as quick as possible! Can you relate?
There are lots of options when you are building your vegetable frittata. I used yellow onion, red bell pepper, zucchini, and spinach, but there is a lot of options out there! What’s in your fridge?
Some other great options would be:
- Green or yellow bell pepper
- Fresh basil
- Or if you want to add meat you could add breakfast meat like sausage.
Know your eggs!
Make sure when you are buying eggs that you are buying good quality! It makes a difference in the health benefits of the eggs. The best eggs to buy would be eggs that are labeled organic, pasture-raised, or free-range. Eggs labeled cage-free, vegetarian-fed, or conventional don’t mean much in terms of being healthy chickens, a lot of these chickens don’t see the light of day. Another way to tell if you have a good egg is by the color of the yolk. I know it can be confusing with all the different labels out there. I like to think of it simply. Light yellow yolk = unhappy chickens, dark yellow to orange-yellow = happy chickens!
Craving crust with that frittata? You can make this Broccoli Cheese Quiche!
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 whole zucchini sliced then halved
- ½ red bell pepper sliced thinly
- ½ yellow or white onion diced
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ teaspoon pink salt or sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil refined
- 1 tablespoon butter
- sprinkle of paprika after baking optional
- Preheat oven to 375
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk 8 eggs and milk. Season with a little salt and pepper and set aside.
- Prepare your vegetables by slicing the zucchini and then cut in halves, thinly slicing red bell pepper, and dicing onion.
- In a cast iron skillet or enameled cast iron casserole dish (pictured above) heat on medium heat the oil and butter.
- Add all the veggies but the spinach and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir fry until the veggies are tender then add spinach and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Pour over egg mix then add cheese.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake remaining time for 15 minutes or until eggs are done all the way through.
- Top with a few spinkles of paprika if you would like.
- Serve and enjoy!