Homemade Elderberry Syrup
We love to use natural remedies in winter, and making our own elderberry syrup is the first line of defense.
Yield: 32 servings
- 1 3/4 cups filtered water
- 1/2 cup organic dry elderberries Buy dried elderberries here
- 1/2 tsp good quality cinnamon like Ceylon cinnamon Buy ceylon cinnamon here
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger or 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 4-6 whole cloves or 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup good quality local honey optional- see below
In a medium saucepan add all ingredients except honey
Bring to a boil then simmer 20 min to a half hour.
Strain liquid into a measuring cup or bowl.
Wait until it is just warm to the touch and whisk in honey.
Store in refrigerator 4-6 weeks.
Take a half to 1 tsp daily as preventive or every 3-4 hours if you are sick.
Tips and precautions
- I use without the honey because I add to honey elixir and homemade elderberry gummies. If you don't add the honey it seems to have less of a shelf life (about 2-3 weeks refrigerated )
- If you are pregnant or nursing do not take.
- If you have an autoimmune disease do not take because it could stimulate immune system.
- Always consult with your doctor before taking anything new especially if you are on medication or having treatment.