When I was a kid, I would spend my summers roaming our many acres of land. We had dozens of fruit trees, nut trees, and berry bushes. I loved to spend the day snacking. When I would venture into the woods, sometimes I would run into an elderberry bush. I would eat handfuls of them!
A few years ago I ran into an article about the health benefits of elderberry and I was amazed! In my research I found that elderberry syrup could:
- Reduce mucous from respiratory infections.
- Boost your immune system.
- Research shows people who were suffering from the flu recovered 4 days sooner when taking elderberry extract.
- Rich in vitamin A, and has more vitamin C than oranges.
- Can prevent some flu strains.
- Promotes good circulation.
- Helps prevent bacterial and viral infections.
So, as you can see the health benefits are amazing! When we are in these winter cold and flu months, I like to boost our immune systems the best that I can!
I was excited when I came across the idea of making my own healthy gummies. These not only have the benefits of elderberry, but cherry juice, which is anti-inflammatory and also helps promote a good night sleep. Local honey, which is anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fugal.
Check out this label from a popular kids vitamin. These vitamins don’t have anything “real” in them, and lower our immune systems causing us to be more susceptible to viral and bacterial infections.
You can make your own healthy gummies in just minutes! Enjoy!
Flu and Cold Busting Gummies
- 1/4 cup bottledorganic elderberry syrup or (I make homemade, instructions below)
- 3/4 cup Black Cherry juice ( or other fruit juice)
- 2tsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp local honey
- 3 packs plain Gelatin
- 2 tbsp homemade vitamin C powder (optional)
Buy Gummy bear molds here
- In a small bowl mix together elderberry syrup, cherry juice, lemon juice, and vitamin C powder.
- Pour into a small pan ( I used a small skillet)
- Sprinkle gelatin packs over liquid mix and stir with a spoon.
- Turn heat on to very low and stir just until warm and gelatin is dissolved.
- turn heat off.
- Add local honey. Make sure liquid is just warm to the touch to avoid killing the good properties of the honey.
- Spoon or use dropper to fill gummy bear molds.
- Refrigerate for an hour.
- Pop gummies out of mold, and store in the refrigerator.
*I let my kids have 3-4 a day. I don’t think they could have to many.
Homemade Elderberry Syrup
- 1 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/2 cup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 4 whole cloves
- Place all ingredients into a saucepan.
- Over low heat bring to a simmer.
- Simmer 15 Minutes (it will smell weird)
- Strain liquid.
- Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.
Elke Polis is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Clicking on an Amazon link from http://www.quadcoptercloud.com/ does not increase the cost of any item you purchase.
We will only ever link to Amazon products that we think our visitors may be interested in and appreciate learning more about.