What’s in your granola? I searched out several popular brands of granola and checked out their ingredient labels, and what I found was disappointing! The good news is you can make this easy spiced coconut granola in just minutes!
Some ingredients to look out for!
To the consumer words like “natural” and “nourishing” can be far from true and definitely misleading! When I simply turned them over to read the label, these popular granola brands were full of hidden MSG, GMO’s, soy, and even BHT! This is the last thing we want when we are trying to make healthy choices, and very frustrating. Who wants to think they are starting their morning off healthy only to feel side effect symptoms like nausea, rapid heartbeat, headache, and drowsiness.
As if it wouldn’t be enough to stop there, some of the brands had added “vitamins”. That’s good right?….. Wrong. While this may look good on the box, all the synthetic vitamins we ingest from juices to fruit snacks, cereals, and milk can cause health problems in the long run. I recently read that synthetic vitamins in large quantities can have a drug-like effect, and can cause the same symptoms as the vitamin deficiency itself. These vitamins are treated like toxins in our bodies!
What should we do?
Make our own. You may think you don’t have the time, but this simple recipe mixes up in less than 10 minutes and the best part…. You are in control of what you put in!
Easy Spiced Coconut Granola
- 3 cups quick oats or old fashioned oats
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds Buy organic chia seeds here
- 1 Tbsp whole flax seed freshly ground
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup walnuts or pecans optional
- 1/2 tsp pink salt or sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 250.
- In a nutri-bullet or coffee grinder, grind flax seeds to a powder.
- In a medium bowl mix all dry ingredients.
- If coconut oil is solid melt in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Pour melted coconut oil and syrup over dry mixture.
- Stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. I bought a non- toxic cookie sheet and I love it!
- Spread granola mix evenly over cookie sheet.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until lightly brown on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Store in a ziplock bag or mason jar.
Elke is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Clicking on an Amazon link from http://www.quadcoptercloud.com/ does not increase the cost of any item you purchase.
We will only ever link to Amazon products that we think our visitors may be interested in and appreciate learning more about.