Have you ever been preparing a special dinner and you’re so focused on the main dish you wonder what you could make for dessert? Well, I have found myself there many times. Thankfully, I have certain dishes I turn to in a crunch, and this delicious, easy, chocolaty dessert is at the top of my list. When you don’t know where to turn, turn to chocolate, right? That’s where this Chocolate mousse with homemade whipped cream comes in!
How to make homemade chocolate mousse
There are several ways to make homemade mousse. The main ingredients for this type of mousse are egg yolks, whipping cream, and chocolate powder. I have a raspberry mousse recipe where I just use mainly whipping cream. That’s delicious too! This recipe has been a favorite recipe of mine among family and friends. It’s easy to make as long as you’re clear on a few things.
- First, when you are heating the egg yolks and sugar use a double boiler. Now, I don’t have an actual double boiler so I use a pot with a metal bowl that fits down into it. I put just a couple of inches of water into the pot then place the bowl in. Put the egg yolks and sugar in and whisk while the heat is on low. All you are doing here is heating the yolks slowly to warm, not hot. This will dissolve the sugar. Every minute or so I put my finger into the mixture and see if it’s warm to the touch. When it is the sugar will dissolve and you can turn off the heat. At this point whisk in the chocolate powder.
- Next, you must use heavy whipping cream. Just heavy cream will not work. Premade whipping cream in the can won’t work. Just heavy whipping cream.
Do I have to use heavy whipping cream?
Yes, like I said above. Pre-made whipped cream will not work and heavy cream will not work. When I was low on whipping cream in the past I tried mixing half and half with the whipping cream. Just a heads up, this does not work! It will not whip up into cream. Also, another reason it won’t work to buy pre-made in the can is that the whipped cream you fold into the chocolate part isn’t sweetened. This dessert is very rich and delicious. The whipped cream for the base doesn’t need the extra sweetness.
Chocolate mousse is easy to make and great for entertaining!
There’s hardly any cooking involved here. It’s simply slightly heating up the egg yolks, sugar, and cacao powder. After that mix cool to room temperature and gently fold in whipped cream. Add the whipped cream or raspberries on top and serve.
I like to make these ahead of time for entertainment. People absolutely love them!
For a dairy-free mousse check out this chocolate raspberry mousse!
I hope you will love this chocolate mousse with homemade whipped cream!
Chocolate Mousse with Homemade Whipped Cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon pink salt or sea salt
- 3 tablespoon cacao powder Buy organic cacao powder here
- 1 cup heavy cream whipped this gets whipped and folded in and is to be left unsweetened.
Homemade Whipped cream
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 3-4 tablespoon powdered sugar Buy organic powdered sugar here
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a double boiler over low heat (I don't have one, but use a stockpot with a little water, and place a mixing bowl on top) add egg yolks, sugar, and salt.
- Whisk until just warm to the touch and the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the cacao powder until smooth.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium mixing bowl pour 1 cup of heavy cream.
- With a hand mixer beat on med-high until soft peaks form (about 5 min).
- When the mousse is completely cooled, gently fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture with a rubber spatula until combined.
Homemade Whipped Cream
- In a medium mixing bowl pour heavy cream.
- Add vanilla and powdered sugar.
- With a hand mixer, mix on medium-high until soft peaks form: do not over-mix.
- In single dessert dishes, divide the chocolate mousse evenly.
- Top with homemade whipped cream (or you can top with fruit and shaved chocolate like pictured above).
- Dust with cacao powder, or finely cut dark chocolate.
Elke is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Clicking on an Amazon link from http://www.quadcoptercloud.com/ does not increase the cost of any item you purchase.
We will only ever link to Amazon products that we think our visitors may be interested in and appreciate learning more about.
Leave a Reply