Have you ever been preparing a special dinner and your so focused on the main dish you wonder what you could make for dessert? Well, I have found myself there many times. Thankfully, I have certain dishes I turn to in a crunch, and this delicious, easy, chocolaty dessert is at the top of my list. When you don’t know where to turn, turn to chocolate, right?
I have to warn you to make this dish alone, solo, unassisted in the kitchen, or you may hear an abundance of “can I’s”. They may sound like this…..”can I lick the beaters?” “can I taste the chocolate?” “heres a spoon, can I have a scoop?” By the way, most of these questions come from my husband!
Because this dessert is only sightly warmed, I recommend using a raw cacao powder instead of cocoa powder, which is processed and stripped of nutrients! Cacao powder is very healthy, and can aid in weight loss, help with headaches, promote healthy skin, improve mood, and is a great source of magnesium.
Egg yolks used to be labeled as an unhealthy food, and avoided by many. They are now considered very healthy. Egg yolks have essential fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, and omega 3!
I hope you will share this dish with the loved ones in your life.
Chocolate Mousse with Homemade Whipped Cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp pink salt or sea salt
- 3 tbsp cacao powderBuy organic cacao powder here
- 1 cup heavy cream whipped ( this gets whipped and folded in)
Homemade Whipped cream
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tbsp powdered sugarBuy organic powdered sugar here
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Directions for Mousse
- In a double broiler over low heat (I don’t have one,but use a stock pot with a little water, and place a mixing bowl on top) add egg yolks, sugar, and salt.
- Whisk until warm to touch and sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and whisk in cacao powder until smooth.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium mixing bowl pour 1 cup heavy cream.
- With a hand mixer beat on med high until soft peaks form (about 5 min)
- When mousse is completely cooled, gently fold whipped cream into chocolate mix with a rubber spatula until combined.
Homemade Whipped Cream
- In a medium mixing bowl pour heavy cream
- Add vanilla and powdered sugar
- With a hand mixer, mix on medium high until soft peak forms, do not over mix.
- In single dessert dishes Buy dessert jars here divide evenly chocolate mousse.
- Top with homemade whipped cream ( or you can top with fruit and shaved chocolate like pictured above)
- Dust with cacao powder, or finely cut dark chocolate.
Elke is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Clicking on an Amazon link from http://www.quadcoptercloud.com/ does not increase the cost of any item you purchase.
We will only ever link to Amazon products that we think our visitors may be interested in and appreciate learning more about.