The idea of Black Bean Burgers came to me a few years ago when my husband and I would set time aside to fast and pray. We would do a specific fast in the Bible called a Daniel fast. On this fast, we would eat fruits, veggies, nuts, beans, and some grains. The fast would usually last 21 days. I would have to get really creative during this time, and somehow, I would end up spending more time in the kitchen than usual.
One food that remained on my menu long after the fast was over was black bean burgers. Who knew they would be so good? Even my meat-loving husband gets a hankering for these.
Black beans have lots of benefits!
- High protein. Black beans are a great source of plant protein! One cup of black beans has 15 grams of protein!
- Iron-rich! Black beans are rich in iron. They have 20% of your daily value in 1 cup!
- Black beans are rich in dietary fiber. This fiber can help make you feel full and more satisfied after a meal. Dietary fiber is also good for digestion helping push waste through the digestive system!
- The complex carbohydrates in black beans help give long-lasting energy!
- Black beans are full of vitamins and minerals such as magnesium, B vitamins, calcium, potassium, and more!
- Black beans aid in weight loss. They are low calorie and high fiber!
Ideas for burger toppings
There can be lots of options here. Pictured I used tomato, red onion, spinach leaves, fresh jalapeno, feta, and habanero honey mustard!
Other options may be:
- sauteed bell pepper and onions
- sauteed mushrooms
- pickled jalapenos
- cheese of choice
The truth is we all live busy lives! We need ideas that are quick and easy, that doesn’t require thawing meat, and that we don’t feel guilty about serving our families.
Best Black Bean Burgers
- 1 can black beans I like to use spicy black beans
- 1/3 cup diced white onion finely diced
- 3/4 cup plain panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg slightly beaten could use chia egg (1 tbsp chia seeds mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- 1 1/2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley if not available use 1 tsp dried
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp pink salt or sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried garlic powder
- Drain black beans and pour into a medium-size bowl.
- With a pastry cutter or fork lightly smash the beans in pieces leaving a few not smashed.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients until combined.
- Patty out 5-6 black bean burgers.
- In a skillet heat a tbsp refined coconut oil over medium heat (or oil of your choice)
- Fry burgers until lightly brown on each side (about 5 minutes per side)
- Add to a bun and top with your favorite burger toppings! See post for ideas!