The idea of Black Bean Burgers came to me a few years ago when my husband and I would set time aside to fast and pray. We would do a specific fast in the Bible called a Daniel fast. On this fast we would eat fruits, veggies,nuts, beans, and some grains. The fast would usually last 21 days. I would have to get really creative during this time, and somehow, I would end up spending more time in the kitchen then usual.
One food that remained on my menu long after the fast was over was blackbean burgers. Who knew they would be so good? Even my meat loving husband gets a hankering for these. And who wouldn’t love the fact that beans are packed full of protein, protect against cancer, help with weight loss, and high in fiber!
My oldest and youngest even love them! The two middle kids, well that took some time. After serving them up time after time I would like to report that the last couple times they have eaten them with no complaints. Avah even said, ” their not my favorite, but I’ll admit their pretty good!” …..I’ll take that!
The truth is we all live busy lives! We need ideas that are quick and easy, that don’t require thawing meat, and that we don’t feel guilty about serving our families.
Best Black Bean Burgers
- 1 can black beans
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley (if not available use 1 tsp dried)
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp pink salt or sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Drain black beans and pour into a medium size bowl.
- With a pastry cutter or fork lightly smash the beans in pieces leaving a few not smashed.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients until combined.
- Patty out 5-6 black bean burgers.
- In a skillet heat a tbsp refined coconut oil over med high heat (or oil of your choice)
- Fry burgers until lightly brown on each side (about 2-3 min per side)
- Top with fresh cilantro or parsley and fresh jalapeño.