In the past, I have found myself searching for desserts made with pumpkin. I always seemed to run into the same things over and over….pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin muffins, and of course, pumpkin pie. I have made all of these things, and love them all, but my creative side wanted something different, a pumpkiny dessert with unique goodness!
I can only hope when I’m creating that all of my precious organic ingredients don’t have the fate of the trash can! ( It’s happened many times…)
I thought about how my husband loved coffee cake….and coffee….and oh yeah sweets in general (that’s why superfood raw desserts like three layer raw dessert is a perfect break to all the flour, and sugar) I knew if this would turn out, it would be right up his alley!
I have to say it turned out beautifully moist, layered with walnut crumble, and bursting with fall flavors! I have to add that I didn’t even pull the mixer out for this! Yep…. just how I like it!
- 3 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder ( no aluminum)
- 1/2 tsp pink or sea salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp softened butter +3 tbsp softened refined coconut oil
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 3/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 5 tbsp melted butter
- 1 /2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease a bundt pan, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl mix eggs, milk, sugar, butter, coconut oil, and pumpkin, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, and spices. Mix with a whisk to incorporate well.
- With a wooden spoon mix dry ingredients into the wet, until completely incorporated.
- Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, walnuts, sugar, and spices with a wooden spoon.
- Add melted butter and mix until incorporated, set aside.
- Pour half of cake batter into pan, then sprinkle evenly with half of crumble mixture.
- Pour the rest of batter, then top with remaining crumble mix.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.
- *always remember to buy the best quality ingredients that are available to you!