I think we all love hot chocolate now and then, but do you know what’s in it? I think it will shock you!
In my journey to crack the label code, (and yes it is a code) every now and then I would stumble upon something and I didn’t think to turn the product over and check out the ingredients.
I came across some packets of hot chocolate mix in my cabinet…..just add hot water or milk and enjoy, hmmmm sounds simple enough, but what was really in this mix? What I saw was horrifying, especially when I think of all the people out there drinking this with no idea what’s in it! It’s a mix of chemicals, artificial’s sweeteners, and sugar! By the way, the chocolate is even hard to detect!
This mix of chemicals I can assure will come with plenty of side effects! Just the artificial sweetener can cause dizziness, numbness, swelling, headaches, cramping, and more. That’s in just one of these harmful ingredients!
Don’t be fooled by the other brands that come across as healthier, they are packed with synthetic vitamins, caramel color, natural flavors (msg), and carrageenan, which all come with their own list of side effects.
What should we do? I have a solution for you! In just a few minutes you can have a healthy hot chocolate that not only taste good but has lists of health benefits!
Healthy Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups milk ( you could use all regular milk, or all non dairy milk)
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Cream scooped off of 1 can full fat coconut milk (I use this)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- In a medium sauce pan over med low heat whisk together milk, salt, sugar, and cacao powder until hot.
- Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, place the thick cream only from the can of full fat coconut milk.
- Add sugar.
- Mix on med high speed until it’s the consistency of whipped cream.
- Pour hot chocolate into mugs, top with whipped cream, and sprinkle with cinnamon. Enjoy!
Elke is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Clicking on an Amazon link from http://www.quadcoptercloud.com/ does not increase the cost of any item you purchase.
We will only ever link to Amazon products that we think our visitors may be interested in and appreciate learning more about.