A couple of years ago, some friends of ours invited us to their house to pick blueberries. She said they had more blueberries than they knew what to do with, and even with the birds getting their bellies full there were still plenty to pick.
It was the 4th of July, so I knew I had some convincing to do with my husband. After a few minutes he agreed to take me and our 4 kids and another family came along with their 3 kids. We were on our way, and I was so excited. After a long, and I mean loooong drive that lead us far into the country down a narrow dirt road we finally arrived. To my amazement, it wasn’t just “some” blueberries, but a field of beautifully loaded blueberry bushes, and not just a couple bushes, but probably 50 bushes!!
So we picked and picked and picked and picked. There was no slowing down for me, I was focused. I knew in my mind I would pick until I heard these words come out of my husbands mouth, “ok, Im done” It was the same words I would hear when he would come shopping with me at the mall. “Done…. how could we be done with so much picking still to do…give me 5 more minutes” and so I got 5 more minutes and I recruited the kids to pick like they have never picked before.
We walked to the car with a few gallons of blueberries that day, and it was totally worth it. For the next few weeks I made blueberry pies, scones, muffins, blueberry pound cakes and blueberry pancakes, it was wonderful!
These muffins are delightful, they are a variation of the ones I would make back in the day when I sold baked goods at the farmers market. I replaced the butter with coconut oil, and cows milk with coconut milk.
Blueberries are super healthy! They fight aging, help with premature graying and hair loss, and help prevent cancer!
Blueberry Lemon Muffins with Lemon Sugar Sprinkle
- 2 cups of unbleached flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pink or sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup melted refined coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (or other milk)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup blueberries
Lemon Sugar Sprinkle
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- tsp lemon zest
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 400
- line 6 jumbo (or 12 small) muffin tin with paper liners. The tulip liners help muffins to come out flawless!
- In a mixing bowl whisk together all dry ingredients but the sugar. Whisk until mixed well.
- Melt coconut oil, just until melted and let set until warm.
- In a seperate mixing bowl mix oil, coconut milk, eggs, sugar, and zest.Buy the zesting tool I love here
- With a wooden spoon, mix dry ingredients into the wet.
- Gently stir in the blueberries.
- Spoon batter evenly into lined muffin tins.
- In a small bowl mix sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Mix and with you fingers evenly sprinkle a little on the top of each muffin.
- Bake muffins 20-25 minutes or until lightly brown.
Elke is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Clicking on an Amazon link from Elke does not increase the cost of any item you purchase.
We will only ever link to Amazon products that we think our visitors may be interested in and appreciate learning more about