Everyone needs a dessert that reminds them that the snow is on it’s way out and spring is near. Lemons are one of those fruits that bring brightness to any dish. This lemon poppy seed bread brings just that. It brings the perfect mix of zesty, citrusy, lemony flavor with the perfect mix of sweetness. It pairs perfectly with your morning cup of coffee or brunch get together!
Lemon poppy seed bread made easy
If you have never made a quick bread you’re in luck! Quick bread doesn’t require any yeast and it is made in a snap. It’s perfect when you find your time is pressed and you don’t have a lot of time. I like to grab a big mixing bowl and make it all in one bowl with my whisk and a wooden spoon.
The simplest way to keep everything down to one bowl is to whisk together all the wet ingredients plus the sugar. After all of those ingredients are whisked together well, I like to whisk in the baking powder and baking soda. After this, I use my wooden spoon to stir in the flour and it’s ready to pour into your prepared loaf pan. Yes, it’s as simple as that! I love quick bread. It makes a delicious treat to have with your morning coffee!
Can I make lemon poppy seed bread vegan?
I think you can make just about anything vegan. For this recipe, you can replace the butter with vegan butter or half vegan butter and half refined coconut oil. You can replace the eggs with a vegan egg substitute. Some of my favorite vegan egg substitutes are chia eggs, flax eggs, and aquafaba (chickpea liquid). I have used all three of these eggs in my recipes they all work really well! In my kitchen, I most commonly use chia egg (which is 1 tablespoon chia seeds mixed with 2 ½ tablespoon water) it works really well and chia seeds have no flavor. I more recently have used the chickpea liquid for an egg substitute and it also works great. It’s amazing how well the liquid whips up just like egg whites! Replace cow’s milk with plant-based milk like coconut or almond milk!
Lemons have great health benefits!
- They promote healthy hair and radiant skin.
- They aid in digestion.
- Lemons are anti-inflammatory.
- Anti-cancer properties.
- Lemons are high in vitamin C.
If you are looking for the perfect springtime quick bread, this lemon poppy seed bread is a great choice!
For other recipes with lemon, check out these lemon protein balls! They are gluten, dairy, and refined sugar-free!
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 stick real butter softened
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup milk of choice I use unsweetened coconut
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon pink salt or sea salt
- ¼ cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Zest of 2 lemons medium to large in size
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice `
- 3 tablespoon powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- Oil a standard size loaf pan and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large mixing bowl (with a whisk or hand mixer) cream together butter, sugar, and eggs.
- Mix in milk.
- Squeeze ¼ cup of juice from a lemon and the zest of 2 lemons and mix in.
- Mix in salt, baking powder, poppy seeds, and baking soda until incorporated.
- With a wooden spoon mix in the flour until smooth.
- Pour batter into oiled loaf pan and bake for about an hour or until knife inserted comes out clean.
- Let bread cool slightly then spoon or pour the lemon syrup over bread.
- In a small bowl whisk together 2 tablespoon of lemon juice and 3 tablespoon powdered sugar. Add a pinch of salt to taste. Pour or spoon this over bread when it is removed from the oven and slightly cooled.