The amazing benefits of our food found in nature never cease to amaze me. I love that there are healing benefits all around us, even in our own back yard. Although we are programmed to run to the doctor for conventional treatment, (which is sometimes necessary) so much healing can be found in God’s creation. Manuka honey is one of those great creations. I’m going to give you some reasons why you should use manuka honey!
Serval years ago I read about the fascinating benefits of Manuka Honey. Local honey has many healing properties, but Manuka honey is a step above. Manuka honey is produced in New Zealand and is derived from bees that pollinate the Manuka tree (also known as the Tea Tree Bush). This honey is commonly sold as alternative medicine and has been studied for its unique healing properties! Not only is this honey anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti–inflammatory, it is also one of the powerful anti-microbial sources there is. When something is anti-microbial it means it can kill microorganisms (such as bacteria and viruses) by suppressing their multiplication!
Check out some other benefits
- It shows effectiveness in killing bacteria that cause chronic sinusitis, which affects millions of people each year.
- Web MD stated that when researchers tested Manuka Honey against bacterias such as MSSA, MRSA, and PA, it was effective in killing the bacteria and worked significantly better than an antibiotic against MSSA, AND MRSA, and even could make MRSA more sensitive to some antibiotics. (Pretty impressive huh?)
- Manuka honey in some cases outperformed conventional antibiotics without antibiotic resistance, and is said to have more antibacterial activity than pharmaceuticals!
Antibiotic use is on the rise. Although antibiotics have saved lives and are good in a lot of situations, they are commonly overused in America. According to CBS News, 4 out of 5 Americans are prescribed antibiotics each year, making them lose their punch and making infections harder to treat. In 2010 doctors prescribed 258 million antibiotics! Most of these patients were children. Having 4 children myself, I have had doctors suggest an antibiotic for viruses that just needed to run their course. Gratefully none of my kids have been on antibiotics, and we have used nature to work for us in this area.
Aside from using Manuka honey Buy Manuka honey here for things like sore throats, colds, and sinus infections, there are many other reasons to have this amazing honey on hand!
More Reasons Why You Should Use Manuka Honey
- Wound healing- stimulates healing and reduces scarring.
- Alleviates gingivitis and improves oral health.
- Improves sleep- it slowly releases glycogen which is needed for sleep.
- It helps skin conditions such as acne and dermatitis. I have recently whisked this into the body butter that I make, and I have seen remarkable results in just a few days with dermatitis I have dealt with. I’m going to continue to track the results.
- It helps relieve indigestion and gastric ulcers.
- Relieves symptoms of eye problems like pink eye.
Not all bottles labeled Manuka honey is the same Buy Manuka honey here. There are some things you need to look for before purchasing some for yourself.
What to look for when buying manuka honey
*First, make sure it’s UMF certified. The Manuka tree has different strains of antibacterial properties, and the UMF describes these properties. The UMF also protects your rights as a consumer because not all Manuka honey has special properties. The ones that do can vary in strength. A number without the UMF could not be genuine. Here’s a breakdown-
Grades of Manuka Honey
- UMF of 5-9- Low grade- general honey health benefits
- UMF of 10-14 Medium grade, can be used for natural healing
- UMF of 15+ Superior grade, superior healing properties, and highly therapeutic (don’t exceed more than a tablespoon at a time)
Also always make sure the honey is produced in New Zealand and is raw.
Yes, Manuka honey is on the expensive side, but considering its benefits, it’s defiantly worth having around. How much is $40-$60 considering the amount that can be spent on doctors and prescriptions? Buy Manuka honey here I have used Manuka honey for several years, and just take a couple of teaspoons a day if I think the symptoms are worsening. You can mix with Ceylon cinnamon Get Ceylon Cinnamon here for added benefits. Ceylon cinnamon is called “real cinnamon” and has more health benefits.
*Always consult with your doctor before using it. If you are on chemotherapy or have diabetes consult with your doctor before taking. Never give honey to babies under 1. Do not take if you are allergic to honey or honey bees.
For other natural remedies check out
Elke is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Clicking on an Amazon link from Elke does not increase the cost of any item you purchase.
We will only ever link to Amazon products that we think our visitors may be interested in and appreciate learning more about.