I think we have all felt at one time or another like we need to do a cleanse. Maybe you have felt unhealthy and bogged down in your body from holiday eating. Maybe you just don’t go to the bathroom regularly and you feel uncomfortable. We need to cleanse our bodies and give them a sweep every now and then just like we do our homes! For the last few years, I have been cleansing my colon with a salt water colon cleanse. This type of cleansing has been around for many years and is a safe and very cost-effective way to cleanse your colon!
What is a salt water colon cleanse?
According to Dr. Axe salt itself is needed for many biochemical processes. These processes including adrenal and thyroid gland function, cell wall stability, muscle contractions, nerve stimulation, pH, and water balance regulation. Wow! Drinking the saltwater kick starts the body’s natural detox and waste elimination. This will help to get your body back on track by pushing out waste, release toxins, and help to get your digestive system back on track.
Considering that most Americans are eating a diet full of processed foods and artificial ingredients this can cause us to get ‘backed up”. Not going to the bathroom regularly can cause a buildup of toxins and waste in the colon which can lead to inflammation, loss of energy, and even disease! Because of this, doing a salt water colon cleanse is an effective way to cleanse you entirely. The salt water forces the digestive system to release waste and old fecal matter from the body. The salt water cleanse is best when done first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
How will all the salt affect my body?
There is a difference between table salt that you may find on the table at your favorite restaurant and good quality pink or sea salt.
Common table salt has additives, depleted of natural minerals, usually includes anti-caking agents, maybe fluoridated. High consumption of this salt can be linked to stomach cancer, osteoporosis, and high blood pressure.
When using good quality pink salt (which is what I use) it has loads of benefits!
- 84 trace minerals
- Helps to balance hormones.
- Helps to regulate blood pressure.
- Balances pH.
- Increases circulation.
- Reduces muscle cramping.
- Detoxes the body.
- Supports thyroid function.
- Improves mental health and brain health.
- It can help reduce anxiety.
- Supports weight loss.
- Improves kidney and gallbladder function.
- And much more!
Benefits of the salt water colon cleanse
Saltwater cleanses can:
- Provides case minerals.
- Forces out toxins.
- Helps with digestive problems.
- Helps to balance mineral levels.
- Balances electrolytes.
- Cleanses the colon.
- Balances pH to optimal levels.
Can they have negative reactions?
Saltwater flushes are typically not dangerous. In some people, they may cause nausea, weakness, cramps, or possible vomiting. If you have high blood pressure or other health concerns make sure to talk to your doctor. Although if you are using good quality salt it shouldn’t raise blood pressure.
Tips for doing the saltwater colon cleanse
- The best time to do the salt water colon cleanse is in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Be precise in the amount of salt that you are using. You may have to adjust the amount for your body, adding a little more or a little less.
- Make sure to use good quality salt. Do not use table salt (the white iodized salt). Always use good quality sea salt or pink salt. You can buy it here.Buy salt here
- Be sure that the salt is completely dissolved in the warm water so your body can process everything safely.
- Give yourself plenty of time (at least 2 hours) before you have to leave and go anywhere. When it hits, it hits! You will want to be close to a toilet!
- Use good quality filtered water.
- The water is, of course, very salty. I like to add a half of a big lemon to mix to help with the taste.
- Make sure to drink the mix within 5 minutes.
- Don’t exceed doing this cleanse more than 1-2 times a month. This will give your body time to regain good bacteria.
- Always consult with your doctor before doing a saltwater colon cleanse.
Salt water Colon Cleanse
- 2 teaspoon pink salt or sea salt Do not use table salt! I will link good salt in the recipe notes.
- 1 liter warm to hot filtered water or about 34 oz water
- ½ lemon squeezed or as little or much as you like.
- Heat the water until it is very warm, but not boiling.
- Pour warm water into a large jar or mug. (Be careful if your water is too hot it could break a regular drinking glass.)
- Stir in 2 teaspoons of salt until salt is completely dissolved.
- Add in as little or as much lemon as you want. I use about half of a large lemon.
- Try to drink the water/salt mix within 5 minutes.
- You should feel the urge to go to the bathroom soon after. It is normal to have to go more than once. Try to hold off going for 20-30 minutes for your body to absorb all the salt.
- Your bowel movement will most likely be very runny and watery.
- *If you think that your body needs a little help you can lay on your side and massage each side of your stomach.
- Make sure when the cleanse is finished you drink plenty of water or coconut water.
Tried a salt water flush before many moons ago and it was so disgusting to drink, I just couldn’t get myself to drink it. But with this recipe, it wasn’t tasty but it also wasn’t disgusting. I managed the full litre and definitely had the desired results!
Thank you for sharing this recipe!
I’m so glad you could get it down!! I oddly kind of like it. I think the lemon helps?
Yes, the lemon really makes all the difference! I also used good pink himalayan salt and stuck to the measurements. Made all the difference! My tummy feels a lot better now 🙂
I truly appreciate this post. I have been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day! Thank you again Love Doll Blog
I hope it works! I can’t get seem to get 34 oz down in 5 minutes though. I only got about 18 o down. Will it still work?
So sorry for the late reply. How did it work for you? In my experience even if you can do it in 5 minutes continue to drink the whole amount!