Vegetable soup in my opinion can be a bit boring. A good soup to me has depth to its flavor. This soup accomplishes just that with hints of fresh sage, thyme, garlic, fresh tomato and lots of fresh veggies.
I love a creamy soup, but a creamy soup without the cream… now that’s what I call “skinny soup!”
There are other reasons why I call this soup skinny soup, and here’s why. Beside the fact that this amazingly healthy soup is made creamy with crushed cannellini beans instead of milk or cream, there are reasons beyond that! Did you know that soup is more filling because of the water content? You could eat the same food in solid form with a glass of water on the side, and you would get hungry quicker. The water content allows it to take up more room in your stomach keeping you full for longer. What does that mean? Yep, you guessed it…you will be less likely to go for that snack. Good news right? For weight loss not every soup would be a good choice. Cream based soups would obviously be more fattening. Better soup choices would be soups like this one that doesn’t use cream or pasta.
This particular soup is packed with the immune boosting veggies like:
Kale-aids in weight loss, permits healthy skin, high in vitamins and fiber and boosts immunity.
Potatoes– cleanse the liver, they are high in fiber, and rich in vitamins like C, B6, and copper.
Carrots -rich in fiber, improves digestion, and skin.
Fresh sage-boosts immune system, prevents constipation, full of protein, and loosens stiff muscles.
Cannellini beans-help you lose weight, regulate blood sugar, high in potassium.
I’m going to stop there. I could say something good about every ingredient in this soup! Its great to think this way! When I put an ingredient in a recipe, I think how it will benefit me or my family’s health. Let’s start this year off right by making good healthy choices, trying things we haven’t tried, and educating ourselves about what we are feeding our bodies. Im so glad your on his journey with me to get healthier and feel better!
Skinny Tuscan Kale Soup
- 1 tsp olive oil+ 1 tsp butter
- 2 tsps pink salt or sea salt (more if needed to taste)
- 1 tsp black pepper (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
- 4 large potatoes
- 4 whole carrots
- 1 small yellow onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tomato
- 3 tbsp fresh sage
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 32 oz vegetable stock or other stock
- 3 cups filtered water
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 3 cups fresh kale
- Drizzle of olive oil ( optional)
- Chop potatoes and carrots.
- Dice onion
- Add butter and olive oil to a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and onion, cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Chop tomato and add to pot.
- Chop sage, pull thyme off stems and add to pot.
- Grate or press garlic cloves in and stir.
- Add broth and water.
- Open beans.
- Pour half of the beans in a bowl and smash them with a fork until creamy.
- Add crushed beans and the rest of the whole beans to soup.
- Chop kale coarsely and add to soup.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer for 20-30 min or until vegetables are tender.
- Top with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve with Crusty Artisan Bread