The 15 years that I have been married, I can always remember protein powder in our house. With a husband who works out, I would have to pry it from his hands to throw it away. So over the years, as we got educated, we got better quality protein little by little. You may wonder if its really that bad…..well….many protein powders that take up space in our kitchens contain artificial sweeteners, flavorings, and additives. Most also contain GMO’s, high fructose corn syrup, protein isolate, or soy. To top that off, commercially made protein powders are highly processed, and extremely difficult with technology to extract the protein from the source, which makes one question if you’re really getting any protein at all! That’s why I chose to make this Homemade Protein Powder! It’s real and it works!
I checked out a couple of popular protein powders and they were a mess of ingredients. Considering that the consumer may not be getting the protein that the container says they are, I would say that the concoction of artificial ingredients would leave the consumer feeling possibly bloated, with headaches, fatigue, dizziness and more!
Isn’t the goal to provide our body with what it needs and gains fuel from, rather than adding toxic ingredients that can make us feel bad, and possibly cost us our health in the end?
What’s the solution? Make your own! It’s simple, full of real protein, vitamins, and minerals!
Check out the benefits of each ingredient:
- Oats- Oats are high in protein and fiber, they are good for your heart, and they help control blood pressure.
- Hemp seeds- Hemp seeds are a complete plant-based protein! They improve memory, they are high in omega 3’s and they contain all 20 amino acids!
- Pumpkin seeds- Pumpkin seeds are high in protein, they kill parasites, they are full of minerals, they regulate sleep, encourage mental health, and fight hair loss in men.
- Chia seeds- Chia seeds help build muscle and help you to lose weight! They help provide energy and stamina, cleanse the colon, aid in healthy digestion, and help prevent cancer.
- Cacao powder- Cacao powder helps lifts mood, supports weight loss, it’s a great source of magnesium, improves memory, and helps balance mood!
For more high protein ideas, check out Homemade protein granola bars!
Homemade Protein Powder
- 2 cups old fashioned organic oats Buy organic hemp seeds here
- 8 Tbsp Hemp seeds
- 2/3 cup pumpkin seeds (I used raw, but you could use roasted or salted) Buy raw pumpkin seeds here
- 4 Tbsp chia seeds Buy organic chia seeds here
- 2 1/2 Tbsp cacao powder or vanilla powder Buy vanilla powder here
- 1/8 tsp pink salt optional
- If you have a Vitamix, you could blend all the ingredients together. I have a Nutri-Bullet, so because of the size, I used this method:
- Blend the oats and add to a medium mixing bowl.
- Then blend the hemp seeds and add to the bowl.
- Then blend the chia and pumpkin seeds and add to the bowl.
- Whisk in the cacao powder and salt.
- Whisk out any lumps.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Keep refrigerated, or freeze. It will last longer in the freezer.
- Blend into your favorite smoothie. 3 heaping tbsp has approximately 9-10 grams of protein.
- Do not store on the countertop because the oil from the nuts can go rancid.
- I like to add a little maple syrup or honey to my smoothie, but if you like your protein powder sweet you can buy maple syrup powder or stevia.
Elke is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Clicking on an Amazon link from Elke does not increase the cost of any item you purchase.
We will only ever link to Amazon products that we think our visitors may be interested in and appreciate learning more about.