Would you like a pumpkin bread recipe that doesn’t have all the vegetable oil and white sugar? Well, how about a healthy pumpkin bread recipe? When fall comes I want all the fall spices and all the fall desserts! However, if I’m going to stuff myself with fall desserts, I want them to be healthier, don’t you? Holidays are always going to come- let’s make this year healthier than the last!
Quick breads are just that they’re quick! I like to make something that I can mix up with a wooden spoon in one bowl, and this recipe is just that!
Making Healthy Pumpkin Bread is simple!
- I start with organic canned pumpkin, but if you have fresh pumpkin lying around use that!
- I mix together the pumpkin, and eggs of your choice. You could use chia egg, flax egg, or farm eggs.
- Whisk in the melted coconut oil. I like to use refined to eliminate the taste of coconut, but feel free to use unrefined. This oil replaces unhealthy vegetable oil or canola oils which are highly inflammatory and likely made from GMOs.
- Next, whisk in the sugar, spices, and raising agents.
- Finally, use a wooden spoon and stir in the flour.
- Bake and wallah!
Now, the caramel on the top, its a game changer! Have you ever heard of caramel without dairy or refined sugar?? Several of my recipes have reduced down maple syrup topping, like my Apple Cinnamon Rolls.
This time I added coconut cream, along with pumpkin spice and sea salt. I reduced the maple syrup down with the other ingredients until it gets thick bubbles. Let it cool down for a couple of minutes and it turns into a beautifully rich vegan caramel sauce! Who could ask for anything more? It makes me wonder what else I could make with wonderful maple syrup!
Can dairy be used in this pumpkin bread?
Yes, if all you have is dairy on hand, you can replace the chia or flax eggs with 2 eggs. You can also replace the coconut oil with butter. If you are using salted butter you may want to reduce the salt a little. For the caramel topping, you could replace the coconut cream with heavy whipping cream.
There’s always more recipes to come, but for now it’s fall cozy healthy pumpkin bread! So mix up this quick bread, make a pot of coffee and cozy up and enjoy!
For other fall pumpkin treats you could also try:
Healthy Pumpkin Bread
- 1 ½ cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree plain
- 2 chia eggs or eggs of choice
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup refined coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ heaping tsp sea salt or pink salt
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
Vegan Caramel Sauce
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoon coconut cream From the top of a can of full-fat coconut milk
- ½ tsp pumpkin spice
- ¼ teaspoon pink salt or sea salt
- ½ cup chopped pecans for topping optional
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and oil a loaf pan. I like to brush with refined coconut oil.
- If making 2 chia eggs mix 2 tablespoon chia seeds with 6 tablespoon water and set aside to thicken.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together pumpkin, eggs, brown sugar, melted coconut oil, spices, and baking soda and baking powder.
- With a wooden spoon mix in the flour.
- Pour into a loaf pan and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes or until a toothpick or knife inserted comes out clean. While bread is cooling make caramel.
Vegan Caramel Sauce
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat bring maple syrup to a simmer.
- Whisk in 3 tablespoon coconut cream. (not coconut milk)
- Simmer for around 10 minutes watching it closely as it begins to thicken.
- Whisk in pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- Turn heat off and let it set for several minutes and while it cools it will get thicker.
- Drizzle over pumpkin bread and top with chopped pecans if desired.