If you are looking for savory breakfast ideas that you can make ahead of time, this breakfast strata is it! If you are looking for the perfect make-ahead breakfast dish that’s packed full of protein and veggies this is your dish! This casserole also makes a great make-ahead breakfast for Christmas morning or even dinner! What are you waiting for? It’s easy and delicious!
What is Breakfast Strata?
Strata is a delicious breakfast casserole! Its made with crusty cubed bread, cheeses, vegetables or breakfast meats and covered in eggs! This delicious mix is then baked in the oven until golden and cooked through. This casserole makes a filling, nutritious breakfast that you can quickly heat and eat!
Other fillings that work well in a breakfast strata
Not a spinach fan? No problem! There are lots of variations of this recipe! You can switch up the cheeses too! Here are some ideas.
- Broccoli and cheddar cheese.
- Mushrooms can be added.
- Kale would work great in place of the spinach!
- Zucchini and onion.
- Tomato, basil, and feta.
If you want to add meat here are some combinations.
- Bacon, egg, and cheese.
- Ham, spinach, and cheese.
- Sausage and mushroom.
These are just some ideas! There are lots more variations you could make!
What type of bread is best to use?
You want a good quality bread for this strata. I like to make my Crusty Artisan Bread recipe then slice it, cube it, and toast it in a pan. If you want to try making this bread and you aren’t a bread maker it’s a great first bread to try! You make this delicious bread with just a bowl and wooden spoon! No mixer or kneading required!
If you decide not to make the bread, you can go to your local grocery and pick up artisan bread or a crusty baguette!
Can I make this the night before?
Yes! You can make this easily the night before. This makes it really convenient for Christmas morning. Just get everything prepared in your casserole dish, cover, and refrigerate. Before you bake the breakfast strata pull it out of the refrigerator then pre-heat the oven. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean!
Are you looking for other breakfast ideas? Here are some to check out!
- 4 cups cubed bread (pressed down) Artisan bread or crusty baguette
- 9 large eggs
- 1/3 cup heavy cream or 1/2 1/2
- 1 cup milk
- 1 10oz package spinach thawed and squeeze and press any liquid out
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 half red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup cheddar shredded
- 1 cup gruyere shredded
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese for the top (or cheese of choice )
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme or a teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste you will want to season each part of the strata
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cube the bread and make sure to have 4 packed cups. Heat some oil in a skillet and lightly toast the bread. Add a little bit of salt and pepper to season. (you can skip toasting the bread if your bread is stale) turn off the skillet and put bread in a large mixing bowl.
- Put thawed spinach in kitchen strainer and press and squeeze all the liquid out and set aside.
- Dice onions and red bell peppers, and grated garlic. Heat a skillet on medium heat with some oil and saute the onions and peppers for about 5 minutes until fragrant and they start to get soft.
- Add in spinach, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper. (I used about a 1/2 tsp of both salt and pepper) and saute for another couple of minutes. Add this mix into the bread mix.
- Grate cheeses and add all but the parmesan cheese (save this for the top). Mix everything up in the bowl.
- Oil a baking dish. ( I used a 9X6 baking dish) and pour the mix into the baking dish.
- In a separate large bowl whisk eggs, milk, cream, and paprika. Season well with salt and pepper. Pour whisked eggs over the bread mix you put into the baking dish and top with the 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese.
- At this point, if you want to make it the next morning you can cover and refrigerate until morning.
- Place the breakfast strata in the pre-heated oven for 40-45 minutes or until the egg is cooked all the way through.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy!