If you have ever stepped foot in West Virginia, your likely to have come across pepperoni rolls. From gas stations to restaurants, they are everywhere, and they come in all kinds of varieties.
Although my love for food is undeniable, I have to admit, pepperoni rolls weren’t one of my favorite foods. Not because they aren’t delicious, but when I think of bleached white flour, and pepperoni full of nitrates that’s not very appetizing, and not something I want to give to my family to eat.
A few months ago my husband asked me to make some pepperoni rolls. Sure, I can do that, but I wanted to make them healthier than the average pepperoni roll.
I had everything I needed to make an organic dough, but I was on a mission to find pepperoni that wasn’t full of all the chemicals and could set on the shelf from now till the end of time!
So to the store I went, and to my surprise there it was…..nitrate free pepperoni!! I was off to the register, and I was on my way to making what he would say was the best pepperoni rolls ever.
Who wouldn’t love a lightly sweet brioche dough, filled with pepperoni and cheese? Everyone right? And it helps to know they are a little healthier!
Best Pepperoni Rolls
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 packs rapid rise yeast
- 2 cups milk
- 1 stick of butter + 2 tbsp
- 6 1/2 to 7 cups unbleached flour
- 2 egg yolks whites mixed with 2 tbsp water reserved for brushing
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350..
- Prepare a cookie sheet by greasing with butter or refined coconut oil.
- Add both packs rapid rise yeast to your water, stir. Let set for up to 5 min. to activate.
- While yeast is activating, place milk and butter in a saucepan. Heat over low heat until butter melts. Let cool slightly,(until warthen pour into medium mixing bowl, with yeast mixture. Whisk in egg yolks, sugar, and salt.
- One cup at a time, add flour and stir in with a wooden spoon until all flour is incorporated.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough several times until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Place dough into a lightly greased bowl (use olive oil or refined coconut oil)
- Cover and let rise, until it's double in size.
- Turn dough on your work surface.
- Tear off a golf ball size piece of dough. Flatten the dough out by pressing with your fingers or a rolling pin. Put in the desired amount of pepperoni and cheese.
- Tuck in sides, and roll the same way you would roll a burrito.
- Place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Continue until all the dough is used. It should make 20-24.
- Before putting in the oven, brush with egg white and water mix.
- Place in your oven and bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly brown on top. Enjoy!