I know I’ve already written a post on fermented soda, but its a favorite in our house. Not only is it tasty, but also provides major benefits to our overall health. We talked about some of the health benefits in my post on Probiotic Ginger Soda , so I just want to touch on a few here.
We all want strong immune systems right? Well its amazing to me that 80% our our immune system is located in our gut! If we want healthy immune systems, we need to have a healthy gut. Millions of Americans are effected by digestive diseases. Lack of good bacteria in our guts not only cause the problems we connect with our guts, like things like IBS, digestion, and leaky gut syndrome, but also can attribute to health issues like depression, chronic fatigue, and gum disease.
I sought out this tea to make the syrup for my soda. I searched in the health food stores, and even checked in specialty tea shops locally, but had no luck finding this tea. I finally checked our amazon and ta-da, there it was. I ordered it (without prime) to save a few dollars, only to find out it was being shipped from across the globe and would take a month to get here…..thats what I get for trying to save a couple dollars, and yes, literally a couple dollars. With frustration, I reordered, paid the couple extra and got it on prime in two days….(face palm). I guess it will be a nice surprise in a month when the other bag comes.
Butterfly Pea Flower has many health benefits including, strengthens hair for hair growth, helps treat urinary problems, improves eyesight, detoxes the body, and stimulates circulation.
The flower produces a gorgeous blue color, yes I said blue…. I read when lemon is added it will cause it to turn violet. I eliminated the lemon to keep the blue color, and after I made the syrup and let it cool, I added a cup of ginger bug, and it immediately turned purple! The purple is pretty, but I was expecting the blue so I was a little disappointed….disappointment aside, I love how nature can bring such beauty. We don’t need toxic artificial colors to make things beautiful!
Probiotic Butterfly Pea Flower Soda
*To make this soda you should already have your started made. You can click here to learn how to make a simple ginger bug.
Syrup for Soda
- 5 cups filtered water (plus 4 cups filtered water)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2-3 inches fresh ginger grated
- 1/2-1 cup dry Butterfly Pea Flower tea
2 Tbsp fresh or bottled lemon juice
- In a medium saucepan bring water, sugar, and ginger to a simmer.
- Add tea, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes
- Let cool completely.
- Add lemon juice.
- Strain syrup into a large measuring cup (this makes it easy to pour. You can purchase one here )
- Stain 1 cup ginger bug into a measuring cup.
- Pour strained syrup, ginger bug into large mason jars along with 4 more cups of filtered water.
- Cap and let set on your counter out of direct sunlight.
- Stir one time a day and re-cap.
- When you see bubbles along the edge and hear fizz when you stir, you are ready to bottle.
Time to bottle
- You may find that its easier to pour mix in a pitcher or measuring cup for easier pouring.
- Pour your mix into glass bottles.buy flip top bottles here( I have used , clean glass bottles from drinks we have bought, and even small mason jars.)
- Make sure you leave about 1 inch headspace.
- Seal the bottle tightly.
- Burp bottle one time a day to release pressure.
- Let it set on your counter about two more days (depending on the temperature of your kitchen) when your burping and hear a pop or see that its fizzy, you know its ready. Remember keep out of direct sunlight!
- Transfer to the fridge.
- This seems to last awhile in the fridge. In my experience it slowly continues to ferment and gets less sweet the longer it sets.
- NOTICE this does contain small amount of alcohol. From my research it is a very small amount. My kids do drink this in small amounts.
- *Lemon juice is said to turn this from blue to purple, when I tried omitting the lemon, when I added the ginger bug it still turned purple. If you have success keeping this blue please note how you did it in the comments.
Elke is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Clicking on an Amazon link from http://www.quadcoptercloud.com/ does not increase the cost of any item you purchase.
We will only ever link to Amazon products that we think our visitors may be interested in and appreciate learning more about.