I’ve always thought I was better at cooking “regular food” dishes rather than sweets. The reason for that has something to do with that I like to add “a little bit of this” and “a touch of that”- that doesn’t work well with baking.
I’ve learned over the years to discipline myself enough to become a pretty good baker! Anything we are willing to work on we can improve- (I have to keep telling myself this in other areas of my life lol) buuuuttt……….
If I look back to find the one thing that made me feel like I could cook, it wouldn’t be the trays and trays of cookies that I attempted to make and had to throw away- It definitely wouldn’t be all the cakes that I slid off the cake savers right into the trash while shaking my head disappointed for more wasted ingredients….
it was THIS apple pie.
It was the one thing I could take to a covered dish event that I knew everyone would like….and I took it everywhere! Picnic- no problem, I’ll bring my apple pie. Covered dish church event-apple pie. A covered dish at the office- oh, no problem, I’ll bring my apple pie. It was hilarious, and I like to think everyone enjoyed it.
How to make a delicious spiced apple pie
- I like to start out with a homemade crust. I know its much easier to buy one, but making a homemade crust tastes soooo good! It could very well be my favorite part of the pie. If you haven’t made pie crust before its not hard. Just make sure to start with COLD ingredients like really cold butter and ice water. This will give you the flaky crust your longing for.
- I like to slice the apples really thin. Chunky slices of apples have a harder time cooking all the way through. I personally love a soft apple in my apple pie.
- Use good quality apples. It’s not like baking banana bread with old over-ripe bananas. A good apple makes a good apple pie!
- Don’t forget the spices! I love to use cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg. These spices work wonderfully with the apples making a delicious apple pie!
I noticed most apple pies have a cup OR MORE of sugar! If the apples are sweet, why are we putting all that sugar? I think a lot of times we do it because that’s how our moms or grandmas did it. Well, with the average American eating anywhere from 150-170 lbs of sugar per year, I think its time to do things a little differently. This apple pie only has 5-6 tablespoons in it, and if you did a crust topping, it would only have 1-2!
For other pie recipes try my Strawberry Rhubarb Pie!
Spiced Apple Pie with Crumb Topping
Apple pie filling
- 1 pie crust here's my homemade piecrust
- 4-5 medium apples I like to use Gala
- 2 Tbsp unbleached flour
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar depending on the sweetness of the apples
- 3 Tbsp refined coconut oil melted you could also use butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp of pink salt or sea salt
Pecan Oat Crumb Topping
- 3/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup oats
- 6-7 Tbsp butter melted (or melted refined coconut oil)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom like this one
- 6 Tbsp brown sugar
- couple dashes of nutmeg
- A couple pinches of pink salt
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Make pie dough, and roll out and put in the pie dish. I'm using a deep-dish pie plate. Set aside.
- Peel apples, then slice them thin and put them into a large mixing bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil (or butter in a small saucepan then stir into the apples.)
- Mix in the flour, and the spices, and sugar, and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl make the topping.
- Mix together all dry ingredients.
- Melt butter or coconut oil and pour over dry ingredients. Make sure nothing looks dry.
- Place apple mixture in prepared pie dish.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over the top evenly.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350. Continue to bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until apple are soft when a knife is inserted.
Elke is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Clicking on an Amazon link from Elke does not increase the cost of any item you purchase.
We will only ever link to Amazon products that we think our visitors may be interested in and appreciate learning more about.