Do you love the idea of your little ones eating healthy, but have given up the fight? I want to encourage you that there is still hope. They like chocolate right? Then I am confident they will drink this chocolaty undercover smoothie.
We have gone from a variety of breakfasts to smoothies probably 5 days a week. This has been a good chance for us for a couple of reasons. First, it has helped us to eliminate juice on those mornings. How did I get in the bad habit of giving them juice in the mornings? I guess that’s just the thing to do…. but the juice is not healthy. Most juices have as much sugar as soda! If that isn’t bad enough, a lot of juices are from concentrate with added “flavor packets” and synthetic vitamins! Second, smoothies are so quick. It probably takes me less than 2 minutes to put this together. For most of us quick is….well….priceless.
How I get my kids to drink smoothies
When the kids first started drinking smoothies, I had to cleverly cover up anything that was healthy. My girls quickly took to them and got to the place where they didn’t mind what was in them. Roman, wasn’t so easy. He would just refuse to open his mouth to anything that he thought would be gross, or he didn’t recognize. I had to get real creative real quick, and lucky for him, I don’t give up….. and I will win, bwahaha. I learned to add things in small amounts if they were healthy or green. I even called it a milkshake, but I couldn’t call it that if the taste didn’t add up. Well, it worked, and now I think they will drink about anything I mix up. Most mornings they have a spirulina (blue-green algae) smoothie, and they don’t even complain it tastes like fish.
This smoothie tastes great and is full of health benefits. Let’s look at a few.
- Coconut Milk– Provides electrolytes, and prevents fatigue. It helps prevent ulcers and helps prevent inflammation.
- Bananas– High in potassium. Have vitamin b6. Enhance the absorption of nutrients. It helps deliver oxygen to the brain.
- Flaxseed– High in Omega 3’s. Protects against cancer. Aides in constipation.
- Raw Cacao Powder– Improves mood. It helps improve digestion. Very high in antioxidants.
- Raw honey– Anti-viral and Anti-fungal. Boosts the immune system. It contains powerful antioxidants.
- Spinach- High in fiber, strengthens bones, fights diseases.
- Peanut Butter– High in protein. It helps boost energy. Aides in weight loss.
- 1 banana
- 2 cups coconut milk for really picky kids you can do 1 cup coconut milk, 1 cup cows milk
- ½ cup ice
- 1 teaspoon whole flaxseed Get organic flaxseed here
- 1 ½ tablespoon raw cacao powder Buy raw cacao here
- 1 cup raw spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon unsweet peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 tablespoon raw honey optional
- fresh or frozen raspberries to garnish optional
- With a blender or Nutri-bullet add banana and milk, then remaining ingredients.
- Blend for 20-30 seconds or until everything is smooth.
- Pour top with berries and serve.
Elke is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Clicking on an Amazon link from http://www.quadcoptercloud.com/ does not increase the cost of any item you purchase.
We will only ever link to Amazon products that we think our visitors may be interested in and appreciate learning more about.