I get really excited about posts like this because I really believe that tonics like this help keep us healthy throughout the winter months!
I have experienced this master tonic to shorten the length of colds, coughs, and infections! Every ingredient in this works together to fight against sickness. It is known to be a potent natural antibiotic and can help to kill bacteria and infections in the body. How exciting is that!
I want to take the time to list just a few benefits of each ingredient in hopes that you will see how powerful it is.
What is in master tonic?
- Ginger – helps prevent cold and flu boosts the immune system and is a natural antibiotic.
- Hot peppers – fight cold and flu, they are anti-fungal, relieve congestion, and are antibacterial.
- Horseradish root – boosts the immune system, helps clear congestion, and helps protect against bacterial infections.
- Thyme – works as an antiseptic is antibacterial and helps treat cough and inflammation.
- Rosemary – is anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and aids in respiratory health.
- Lemon – improves immunity and provides relief from a cold.
- Garlic – boosts the immune system, it’s a natural anabiotic, antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory.
- Turmeric – is a natural antibiotic, helps with cough, and is a natural anti-septic.
- Onion – helps relieve coughs, helps boost the immune system, and helps respiratory problems.
- Apple cider vinegar- is a natural detoxifier, fights against allergies, helps clear sinuses, and helps prevent stomach illness.
What are the benefits of master tonic?
Master tonic or fire cider is antibacterial which is very helpful for cold and flu symptoms. It also can improve digestion and help relieve headaches. Master Tonic is a great immune booster and can prevent infection.
Another benefit of master tonic is that it can help candida overgrowth in the body. Candida happens when the body becomes too acidic from eating too much sugar or good bacteria in the gut dies from antibiotics. The master tonic is made with fermented apple cider vinegar which can help good bacteria grow.
Master Tonic can help the body detox, especially in the liver, and helps to increase circulation in the body.
These are just a few of the health benefits of each of these ingredients! This is a powerful medicine to have through the winter. I like to mix it with a little local honey to make it easy to take and the honey will also add to the health benefits! I have also mixed this onto a vinegar-based salad dressing to get it into my kids!
Remember to use the best possible ingredients that are available to you when making this!
For other natural remedies for cold and flu check out:
- Different varieties of hot peppers including habanero, jalapeño, chilies, cayenne, Hungarian wax etc. I used 12-15
- 1 cup horseradish root diced
- ½- 1 cup ginger root
- 1 cup garlic cloves
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1-2 onions diced
- ½ lemon in slices
- 3-4 pieces turmeric root if available
- 32 oz bottle Apple Cider Vinegar Braggs recommended or with the "mother"
- On a large cutting board, slice all hot peppers being careful not to touch the inside of the pepper, or wear gloves.
- Chop ginger, horseradish, turmeric, garlic, and onions.
- Slice lemon. You can leave herbs on the stems.
- Arrange everything in a large glass jar or mason jar.
- Pour the ACV over everything, until it just covers the top.
- Place a label with the date on the jar.
- Place in a dark place in a pantry or cabinet.
- Let set up to 6 weeks.
- Once a day give it a shake.
- After the 6 weeks strain, and keep in a jar in the fridge. You can also store it in a dark cabinet.
- I like to pour some in a smaller jar and add a couple tablespoons of local honey.
- I take 1 teaspoon daily, or 2-3 teaspoon daily when you are not feeling well.
- *for more like this checkout Homemade Vitamin C
- Large amounts of ginger should be avoided during pregnancy.