I get really excited about posts like this because I really believe that tonics like this help keep us healthy throughout the winter months!
I have experienced this tonic to shorten the length of colds, coughs, and infections! Every ingredient in this works together to fight against sickness. It is known to be a potent natural antibiotic. How exciting is that?!
I want to take the time to list just a few benefits of each ingredient in hopes that you will see how powerful it is.
Benefits of Master Tonic!
- Ginger helps prevent cold and flu boosts the immune system and is a natural antibiotic.
- Hot peppers fight cold and flu, they are anti-fungal, relieve congestion, and antibacterial.
- Horseradish root boosts the immune system, helps clear congestion, and helps protect against bacterial infections.
- Thyme works as an antiseptic are antibacterial and help treat cough and inflammation.
- Rosemary is anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and aids in respiratory health.
- Lemon improves immunity and provides relief from a cold.
- Garlic boosts the immune system, it’s a natural anabiotic, antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory.
- Turmeric is a natural antibiotic, helps with cough, and a natural anti-septic.
- Onion helps relieve coughs, helps boost the immune system, and helps respiratory problems.
- Apple cider vinegar is a natural detoxifier, fights against allergies, helps clear sinuses, and helps prevent stomach illness.
These are just a few of the health benefits of each of these ingredients! This is a powerful medicine to have through the winter. I like to mix it with a little local honey to make it easy to take and the honey will also add to the health benefits! I have also mixed this on to a vinegar-based salad dressing to get it into my kids!
Remember to use the best possible ingredients that are available to you when making this!
- Different varieties of hot peppers including habanero, jalapeño, chilies, cayenne, Hungarian wax etc. I used 12-15
- 1 cup horseradish root diced
- 1/2- 1 cup ginger root
- 1 cup garlic cloves
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3-4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 large onions diced
- 1/2 lemon in slices
- 3-4 pieces turmeric root if available
- 32 oz bottle Apple Cider Vinegar Braggs recommended
- On a large cutting board, slice all hot peppers being careful not to touch the inside of the pepper, or wear gloves.
- Chop ginger, horseradish, turmeric, garlic and onions.
- Slice lemon. You can leave herbs on the stems.
- Arrange everything in a large glass jar or mason jar.
- Pour the ACV over everything, until it just covers the top.
- Place a label with date on jar.
- Place in a dark place in a pantry or cabinet.
- Let set up to 6 weeks.
- Once a day give it a shake.
- After the 6 weeks strain, and keep in a jar in the fridge.
- I like to pour some in a smaller jar and add a couple tablespoons of local honey.
- I take 1 tsp daily, or 2-3 tsp when not feeling well.
- *for more like this check out Homemade Vitamin C
- Large amounts of ginger should be avoided during pregnancy.